If a man is the sum of his experiences, Mayf Nutter has attained enough success to fill several lifetimes. Here's a quick scan of just a few highlights in his career (or should we say careers).
- Mayf was the youngest honoree in the Nashville Country Music Hall Of Fame, Walkway of Stars.
- He is a member of the Rockabilly Hall of Fame.
- On their opening day celebration, The Bakersfield Country Music Museum inducted Mayf Nutter and Buck Owens as their first honorees.
- Mayf won the "Video Of The Year" award two years in a row performing as Artist, Songwriter, Director, and Producer. He invented the technique of "acting a role" (not just being the singer); and was the first, perhaps only singer, to never use lip synchronization for a single line of the song; and introduced the use of dialog in Music Videos. His "Rock-a-Billy Money" video marked the first time an artist, not supported by a major record label, reached the #1 spot on CMT. Nhyl Henson, who conceived the idea and started CMT said, "Mayf Nutter is the definition of Recording Artist. He writes the songs, produces the records, writes the video script, hires the actors and crew, directs the videos, acts in them, and produces the whole project. There are lots of singers, Mayf Nutter is an ARTIST."
- Mayf has been a performer at Jamboree In The Hills nine times, beginning with the first one in 1977. Inspired by that first event and encouraged by a fan to write a song about that first weekend, Mayf wrote the song that has been used as the Theme Song for this event since 1980.
- Before beginning his solo career, and just out of high school, Mayf was the guitarist for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Member, Del Shannon (Classic Hit Song "Runaway", etc.). Later Mayf became the leader, front man, and Columbia records producer for the internationally acclaimed folk singing group, The New Christy Minstrels - who also claim Kenny Rodgers and Kim Carnes as alumni
- Rock icon, Frank Zappa formed a new record label, just for Mayf Nutter. He called it Straight Records and the first release, "Everybody's Talkin'" from the movie Midnight Cowboy, hit the top of radio play lists across the U.S. and in Europe. The musicians were Merle Haggard's Strangers. The song was cut in a horse barn that Merle had converted into a studio at his Bakersfield home.
- Soon Capitol Records released more Mayf Nutter Hits including "Never Ending Love", "Green Door", "Party Doll and The Chattanooga Shoe Shine Boy".
- Next Mayf wrote the crowd pleasing songs, "Goin' Skinny Dippin'" and "Jamboree In The Hills" (the song), and others.
- Mayf also has the distinction of writing and recording the first environmental impact song. "Simpson Creek Won't Never Run Clean Again". Directly influenced by the message in the song, mining companies yielded to public outcry and restored life to every stream in Mayf's native county in West Virginia. All life forms had been previously killed by pollution. A Mayf Nutter Week Celebration resulted.
- While flying over miles of the now famous, Alaskan oil slick, on his way to a concert in Anchorage, Mayf witnessed the environmental devastation brought on by the tragic oil spill caused by the tanker ship, Exxon Valdez. That night, as he often does in live performances, he decided to write a song on stage using suggestions from the audience. Moments later "The Ballad Of Valdez" had the audience laughing hysterically. Within a week the song was recorded and being played on all formats of radio from Country to Talk shows. It was featured on ABC TV, CBS TV and was used on network News shows for months. 100% of Artist Royalties went to restore fish and wildlife in Alaska.
- His LIVE PERFORMANCES range from Las Vegas Headliner to Carnegie Hall. From the Los Angeles Coliseum (65,000 fans) to The Grand Ole Opry. From the WWVA World's Original Jamboree in Wheeling, West Virginia to the Sun Yat Sen Memorial Center in the Peoples Republic Of China in 1982 (the concert was broadcast "live" on China National TV). Thus, Mayf became, historically, the very First American to ever sing on China National Television.
Mayf Starred opposite Sally Field, Jeff Bridges, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Robert Duvall, Glenn Close, James Stewart, Rock Hudson, and others, with directors such as Oscar Winner Stanley Kramer, Bob Rafelson, Chris Cain, and many others.
- The Stone Boy (w/Robert Duvall) (STARRING)
- The $5.20 An Hour Dream (STARRING)
- Stay Hungry (CO-STAR)
- Oklahoma Crude (CO-STAR)
- Cycling Through China (STARRING)
- Hunter's Blood (STARRING)
- The Painted Forest (STAR / CAMEO)
- Big Chuck, Little Chuck (STAR / LEAD)
- Treasure of The Bear (STARRING)
Mayf's roles as a TV actor began with a role on Gunsmoke in 1967.
- TV Series/Mini-Series: (Recurring or Series Regular)
- Lone Star Bar & Grill (9-Hr. M/Series) (STARRING)
- Knot's Landing (LEAD - Valene Ewing's Fiance, Parker Winslow)
- Hawkins (13, 90 min. films w/Jimmy Stewart) (STARRING)
- The Waltons (RECURRING 3 yrs. as Bobby Bigelow the Singing Cowboy Radio Star)
- Falcon Crest (RECURRING)
- Days Of Our Lives (RECURRING - 3 different characters)
- TV Series: (Guest-Star)
- Murder She Wrote
- Houston Knights
- The Fall Guy
- Dukes of Hazzard
- Cutter To Houston
- Charlie's Angels (as Eddie Dirko - the first bad guy on the series) Watch a 6 minute "mini-sode" courtesy of Hulu
- The Eddie Capra Mysteries
- Gunsmoke (as Festus' cousin Heathcliff)
- High Chapparal
- The Buck Owens TV Ranch (58 episodes)
- Complete Guest Star credits: over 100
Walt Disney Productions
- Petronella (Albion The Enchanter) (STARRING)
- Lefty, The Ding-A-Ling Lynx (NARRATOR)
- Lefty, Part 2 (NARRATOR)
- Mountain Born (NARRATOR)
- Nashville Coyote * (NARRATOR/SINGER)
- Tale of Two Critters (NARRATOR/SANG TITLE SONG)
*Denotes Award Winning Film
Mayf now resides in Southern CA with his wife, the former Lindsay Bloom (a former Miss USA and star of "Mike Hammer", "Dallas", and movies, singer/dancer/comedy actress on "The Dean Martin Show"). They have three children.
Mayf's "Secret for Happiness and Success" is: "Find something you would do for nothing, and find someone to pay you for it". His life's goal is to "Go about doing Good" as Jesus did.